Beef short ribs are a popular and flavorful cut of meat that can be prepared in several ways, resulting in tender, mouthwatering dishes. The key to a perfect beef short rib dish is to use high-quality, 100% grass-fed beef from a source like Acabonac Farms. Our regenerative approach to agriculture not only produces delicious meat but also benefits the environment, which makes it a win-win choice for your short rib recipes.
Today, we will explore three different methods for cooking beef short ribs, as well as tips for choosing the right cut and preparing the meat for cooking.
Selecting and Preparing Beef Short Ribs:
When selecting beef short ribs, look for a cut with a good amount of marbling, as this will enhance the flavor and tenderness of the meat. You can find the perfect 100% grass-fed beef short ribs here at Acabonac Farms.
Before cooking, it's essential to trim any excess fat from the meat and season it generously with salt and pepper. This will ensure maximum flavor and tenderness in the final dish.
1- Braising Beef Short Ribs:
Braising is a popular method for cooking beef short ribs, as it allows the meat to become tender and flavorful over low heat. To braise short ribs:
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the short ribs on all sides and then remove them from the pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook until softened.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and thyme, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour in red wine and beef broth, then return the short ribs to the pot.
- Cover and cook in a preheated 325°F oven for 2-2.5 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily falls off the bone.
Serve your braised beef short ribs over mashed potatoes or polenta to soak up the delicious sauce.
2- Grilling Beef Short Ribs:
Grilling is another excellent method for cooking beef short ribs, particularly during the warmer months. To grill short ribs, follow these steps:
- Marinate the short ribs in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the short ribs from the marinade and grill for 4-5 minutes per side, or until they reach your desired level of doneness.
Serve your grilled beef short ribs with a side of coleslaw or a fresh green salad for a light and flavorful summer meal. This is a more “chewy” preparation and not the same fall off the bone tender most people associate with short ribs.
3- Slow-Cooking Beef Short Ribs:
Using a slow cooker to cook beef short ribs is a convenient and low-maintenance method that results in tender, flavorful meat. To slow cook short ribs, follow these steps:
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the short ribs on all sides and then place them in the slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and your favorite barbecue sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily falls off the bone.
Serve your slow-cooked beef short ribs with a side of baked beans or mac and cheese for a comforting and delicious meal.
So, next time you're craving a flavorful and tender beef dish, consider trying one of these delicious beef short rib recipes.
Beef short ribs are a versatile and flavorful cut of meat that can be cooked using a variety of methods. By using high-quality, 100% grass-fed beef from Acabonac Farms, you'll not only enjoy the delicious taste of grass fed meat but also support environmentally friendly farming practices. Experiment with different cooking techniques and recipes to find your favorite way to prepare beef short ribs, and don't forget to share your culinary creations with family and friends!