Until recently, grass fed beef tongue has been seen as somewhat niche; though for years has been a staple in many soup recipes and of course beef tongue tacos - more commonly called lengua tacos. Because the high fat content adds so much flavor, beef tongue is a gem that deserves wider usage! Beyond being delicious, it’s also high in zinc, iron and vitamin B-12, adding a strong healthy aspect to its taste.
People around the world cook beef tongue in many different ways. In Mexico it's prepared as tacos de lengua de res. In Puerto Rico, they cook lengua al caldero (tongue pot roast). In France, boiled beef tongue is prepared with mushrooms and a Madeira sauce.
How To Cook Beef Tongue:
Grass fed beef tongue is actually very easy to prepare!
- Place beef tongue, a couple sliced onions, some peppercorns and a few cloves of garlic in a large stock pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours or until tongue is tender.
- Immediately remove tongue from hot water and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While still warm peel outer layer of tongue and discard.
- Slice tongue interior in to thin slices and grill, fry or serve as is in your next recipe.
What Does Beef Tongue Taste Like?
Unlike other organ meats or offal, grass fed beef tongue actually has a mild beefy flavor and pleasant texture. Most people say it tastes more like steak than organ meats.
Trust us, if you serve beef tongue at your next dinner party, it will make an impression. And with Acabonac Farms, you get grass fed beef tongue from our 100% grass fed, pasture finished cattle raised on the fields of Long Island.
When you order from Acabonac Farms, your beef tongue is delivered directly to your door, flash frozen and ready for cooking.
*Please note, our beef tongue's are shipped whole and unpeeled. There will be slight weight differences between each tongue*
Each Pack of Grass Fed Beef Tongue is Approximately 45oz