You’ve probably heard about the importance of gut health by now. The gut microbiome is the foundation of one’s overall health. It makes sense. 80% of your immune system can be found in the gut. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that, just like us, our dogs need to partake in a nutritious diet that promotes the health of their gut as well. When a dog’s diet lacks the necessary prebiotic content that keeps their microbiome in check, problems can arise.
Some common symptoms of poor gut health in dogs include:
- Fatigue and/or lethargy
- Gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, vomiting, bloating, or constipation
- Poor coat quality
- Frequent licking of the paws, limbs, or other areas of the body
- Weight loss or gain
- Restlessness and/or disturbed sleep
Although it seems like an obvious consideration, when it comes to the health of man’s best friend, this critical factor is often overlooked. Take a look at standard dry dog food. The words, “nutritious”, “healthy”, and “well-balanced” are probably found on the bag, but don’t necessarily ring true. Trust your gut on that one – you’re right. The reality of what we’re feeding our dogs – or what we’re failing to feed our dogs – has become apparent to many pet parents. So how do you ensure your dog is consuming food that is going to promote their gut health?
You need to choose a dog food that includes:
- Whole, natural ingredients
- Isn’t processed and stripped of all nutrition
- Contains natural additives to promote gut health
At Acabonac Pet we produce premade raw dog food in Long Island, New York and take the health of pets seriously. Made with raw, real ingredients, including grass-fed and finished beef, all our dog food recipes are optimized for restoring and maintaining proper gut health.
If your dog is having digestive issues or has not been getting adequate nutrition, Acabonac Pet is a terrific option to help restore the helpful bacteria in your dog’s gut microbiome. Acabonac Pet also contains the following digestive aids that assist with developing a healthier gut:
- Yeast extract - Helps prevent colonization of the intestine by pathogens, in particular Salmonella and E. coli.
- Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) - A prebiotic that aids digestion by allowing beneficial bacteria and probiotics to lower intestinal pH. This inhibits pathogens and purifies bacteria and thus reduces stool odor. The prebiotic combination is also believed to boost the immune system.
- Organic acids (Fumaric acid, lactic acid, citric acid, malic acid) - This mixture acidifies the intestinal environment, favoring the growth of beneficial bacteria over that of pathogens.
- Thyme extract - Has antimicrobial activity (against Enterobacteriaceae and others). It helps lower intestinal pH inhibiting the growth of pathogens. It also helps maintain stool firmness.
At Acabonac Pet we aim to be the most holistic dog food option, ensuring your dog is getting everything it needs in their diet. The dog food industry as a whole has largely become a race to the bottom. In order to cut costs, dog food manufacturers strip away the most important pieces to the puzzle of balanced nutrition. We can’t forget that providing our dogs with a healthy diet isn’t just a chore – it plays a huge role in their quality of life, just like our own diets do for ourselves. If you are looking for dog food that prioritizes your dog’s gut health and overall wellbeing, Acabonac Pet is a great solution that has a variety of recipes for any dog’s palate. With easy to use delivery options and subscriptions available, feeding your dog the right way is more convenient than ever.