Transport yourself with the vibrant flavors of Morocco with our Moroccan lamb tagine recipe. This traditional North African dish combines tender lamb stew meat, aromatic spices, and a medley of vegetables, resulting in a fragrant and flavorful culinary experience. With its unique blend of sweet and savory flavors, this Moroccan dish is sure to impress your family and friends. Let's dive into the recipe and explore the rich culinary heritage of Morocco.
Acabonac's Lamb Tagine Recipe:
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for spice lovers)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or tagine over medium heat. Add the lamb stew meat and brown on all sides until nicely seared. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir well to coat the onion and garlic with the spices.
- Return the seared lamb stew meat to the pot and mix it with the onion and spice mixture. Allow the flavors to meld together for a few minutes.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (with their juices), and dried apricots. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the tagine simmer gently for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Stir in the pitted green olives and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot again and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the tagine rest for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley before serving.
Serve the Moroccan lamb tagine hot with steamed couscous or fluffy basmati rice. The tender meat, aromatic spices, and the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors will transport your taste buds.
Lamb Tagine Recipe Variations:
- For an extra texture, add a handful of toasted almonds or roasted pine nuts to the tagine just before serving.
- Feel free to modify our lamb tagine recipe with additional vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, or zucchini to enhance the flavors and add more texture to the dish.
With its tantalizing aromas and blend of flavors, our Moroccan lamb tagine recipe is a culinary masterpiece that will transport you to the vibrant streets of Morocco. The tender lamb stew meat, infused with aromatic spices and complemented by the sweetness of apricots, creates a truly memorable dining experience.