Cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot is an easy and convenient way to achieve tender, juicy meat that falls off the bone. Whether you're a busy parent, a working professional, or simply looking for a delicious and effortless meal, crock pot chicken is a quick and easy one pot meal perfect for any night of the week. Follow this step-by-step guide and enjoy a mouthwatering whole chicken with minimal effort.
- 1 whole pastured chicken from Acabonac Farms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, or sage)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 pounds small potatoes and carrots cut to rough chunks
- Defrost your chicken overnight in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the whole chicken inside and out under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil or melted butter, ensuring it is evenly coated.
- Combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and dried herbs in a small bowl, then sprinkle the seasoning mixture all over the chicken, including inside the cavity.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with quartered onion, peeled garlic cloves, and halved lemon. These aromatics will infuse the chicken with wonderful flavors as it cooks.
- Pour chicken broth or water into the bottom of the slow cooker to create steam and prevent the chicken from sticking to the pot.
- Place the seasoned and stuffed chicken into the slow cooker, breast side up.
- Surround with your small potatoes and chopped carrots.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on low heat for 6 to 7 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. Cooking times may vary depending on the size and model of your slow cooker.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should register at least 165°F (74°C) at the thickest part of the breast and thighs, indicating that it is fully cooked.
- Carefully remove the whole chicken from the slow cooker and let it rest for a few minutes before carving. Surround the slow cooked chicken with your slow cooked vegetables and serve.
Optional Step for Crispy Skin:
If you prefer crispy skin, transfer the cooked chicken to a baking dish and broil it in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the skin becomes golden and crispy. Keep a close eye on it to avoid burning.
Tips for Success:
- For added flavor, you can rub the chicken with your favorite dry rub or marinade before cooking.
- Ensure the chicken is fully thawed before placing it in the crock pot to ensure even cooking.
- Avoid lifting the slow cooker lid during cooking to retain heat and moisture.
- Leftover cooked chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or frozen for future use.
We hope you enjoy our foolproof recipe for cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot. This method delivers a tender and succulent chicken that requires minimal effort on your part. Let us know if you try it!